Courthouse library staff from across Ontario recently gathered for Learn with LiRN 2023. Library staff work in such a unique eco-system, juggling association duties with their library work so the chance for them to meet annually with their colleagues is an important opportunity for them to share information, “brainstorm problems that seem to be affecting us all”, as well as meet with their colleagues, near & far.
- Hor Druma of Alexi gave an engaging & informative session about educating lawyers about the good usage of AI that is so omnipresent now.
- Irwin Law author, Natasha Bakht, gave a riveting talk about her book: In Your Face: Law Justice and Niqab-wearing Women in Canada.
- Our e-LiRN suite of vendors (Westlaw, LexisNexis, vlex) were on hand to give presentations about their AI products as well as answer questions from the libraries.
- Several courthouse librarians provided engaging and informative Best Practices sessions that was very helpful to the group since these innovative ideas can often be implemented easily.
- Vicki Whitmell, LiRN Board Member, hosted an interactive session to spark ideas & brainstorm possibilities for library staff to try to improve their service offerings or try new technology in a sandbox setting. These ideas will be developed into proposals for LiRN’s LFO Innovation Sandbox Grants for next year. As one participant said the “Sandbox session was a great idea to get the creativity flowing!”