Our 1st Annual Learn with LiRN Conference was a great success!
The conference (formerly known as COLAL) was held Oct 13 – 14, 2022 at the Toronto Eaton Centre Marriott Hotel. Tailored to courthouse library staff’s unique needs and experiences, the professional development sessions featured a mix of informative, innovative, and practical presentations that had everyone buzzing with ideas.
Our focus this year was drawing lawyers back into libraries and marketing our collections, including E-LiRN. Our blend of professional speakers and practical sessions by their association librarian colleagues will hopefully spark some ways that they could implement some of these ideas in their home libraries.
- Current Awareness session was presented by Joan Rataic Lang (TLA) and Connie Crosby (Information diva, speaker, and educator)
- Drawing Lawyers back into LiRN Libraries – Marketing ideas by Kathy Dempsey (The Accidental Library Marketer)
- Social Media Tips by Jennifer Walker (CCLA) and Megan Strain (TLA)
- Learn about LIBIB by Michelle Gerrits (LLA) and Janet Marchment (YRLA)
- Coping with Vicarious Trauma and Burnout by Dawn Behrend – Instruction and Outreach Librarian, Lenoir-Rhyne University, NC
There was an excellent turnout with over 90% of the association’s library staff in attendance in-person or virtually! Feedback from our conference survey has been helpful for planning for next year.
Librarian comments included:
- I liked the fact that the content was tailored to our unique perspective as librarians.
- I really enjoyed meeting others and learning how others operate, their suggestions and implementation.
- Love having a mix of our own and outside speakers!
Huge thanks to all our attendees for being attentive and engaged participants, our vendors for showing up (with swag) to provide their insight on our new suite of products, all our speakers, and each association for supporting your library staff’s attendance!